Studying in upper secondary education,
not dependent on whether you are in the general upper secondary school or
vocational education and training, is free of charge. That means that you don’t
have to pay tuition fees but unlike in comprehensive school you need to pay
your own books, materials, equipment, tools and sometimes even proper clothing if
you are studying to become a cook for example. There is a subsidy from the
state depending on your family income so if you come from a low-income family you
may get a small financial subsidy every month. The students also get a free meal
every day at school and then, depending on your circumstances, you may even get
free accommodation. This is mostly if you happen to… if your family lives in
another town and you have to stay by yourself in another town
where the school is.