Greetings students of the world in this
video I’m going to look at English language requirements for study in the UK
and talk about the different options that you have available to you to show
your knowledge to the English language without necessarily taking an IELTS test Hello again, Jack here from Cardiff Met
International to talk about all things English language when thinking about
coming to study in the UK. Now wherever you are with your research into coming
to study at a university in the UK, I would say it’s safe to say that you’re
aware that you will need a certain level of English to study here. The majority of
university courses in the UK are taught in English so you will need to be able
to demonstrate your level of English language. I’d also say there’s a good
chance you’ve heard of the IELTS test, the most widely used and recognized test to
demonstrate English language ability However with all of the requirements
preparations and costs involved in coming to study in the UK, I understand that
you don’t necessarily want to have to take another test unless you really have
to. So in this video I’ll be talking about some of the other options that you
have available to you alongside an introduction to English language
requirements for UK universities. I’ll be talking about general English language
requirements for study in the UK however some examples will be specific to
Cardiff Metropolitan University so I’ll make sure I make this clear throughout. If
this is your first time watching a Cardiff Met International UK study video I’ll
make sure I point you towards some other useful content towards the end of
the video. Now I’m going to break this video down into two sections. Firstly the
level of English language you will require and why you will need it
followed by the different ways you can demonstrate your level of English to a
UK university and in some cases why you might not need to. If you want to skip
the first section and learn more about qualifications and exemptions you can
look at the timestamp shortcuts below in the description and go straight to the
section that is relevant to you. I won’t be offended. So why do you need to show
your level of English when you apply to a UK University as an international
student. Almost all courses in the UK are delivered in English. You need to have a
sufficient level of English to be able to complete your course. You need to be
able to take part in classes and discussions and to submit assessments
such as coursework and exams. This is why the English language requirement of your
course is part of the academic requirement. However as well as being
part of the academic requirement, your English language level is also part of
your visa requirement. The UK Government requires that when you
apply for a Tier four student visa the university that you are going to be
studying at has checked your level of English language. They will ask for
university to confirm this as part of supporting your visa. But what level of
English language do you actually need to have and how is it measured? UK
universities use a system called the Common European Framework of Reference
for languages or CEFR. This framework is a guideline used to describe language
proficiency. For the sake of study in the UK all you need to know is that in most
cases the required level for study at degree level is Upper Intermediate
referred to as B2 level. Having an English language level of B2 means you
can do the following: Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both
concrete and abstract topics including technical discussions in your field of
specialization. Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that
makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without
strain for either party. Can produce clear detailed text on a wide range of
subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and
disadvantages of various options. Your University will need evidence that you
have this level of English in four key areas: Reading, Writing, Listening and
Speaking. However what it really comes down to is what your level of English is
good enough for the course that you have applied to – which seems sensible to me.
It’s worth noting at this point that if you are planning on studying at below
degree level for example an International Foundation Programme, the
required level of English will be a slightly lower Intermediate level
referred to as B1. There are slightly different rules around demonstrating B1
level which I’ll mention in the next section. So now that you know roughly the
level of English you require and why you need it, how can you evidence your level of English to the University you are
applying for. In this section I’m going to look a common English language tests,
different High School Qualifications, exemptions, and finally a few other
options that may be relevant to some international students. Your first option
is a Secure English Language Test or a SELT. A Secure English Language Test is a
test which is approved by the UK Government as well as UK universities. If
you are applying for an International Foundation programme or below degree
level this is your only option to demonstrate
your B1 level of English The most common SELT is the IELTS test.
The majority of both undergraduate and postgraduate courses a Cardiff Met
require an overall IELTS score of 6.0 with at least 5.5 in reading, writing, speaking
and listening. You must have achieved this IELTS score no more in two years
before starting at university. A small number of courses Cardiff Met may
require a slightly higher IELTS score. In fact every University will have a slightly
different score requirement so it’s best to check before you start preparing if
you’re planning on taking an IELTS test If you are taking an IELTS test for an
International Foundation Programme to show that B1 level of English you’ll need to
make sure that you sign up to take the UKVI IELTS test. Another SELT option is the Trinity College London ISE level 3.
However this test is currently only available to take here in the UK. There
are several other English language tests that may be accepted by UK
universities for degree level study. This includes the Pearsons PTE, Cambridge English C1 Advanced and the TOEFL. I’ll include a link from a description to more
information about the required score for each of these tests. Cardiff MET also
offers its own English language test in some countries called the GETS test. Again, I’ll link to more information about the GETS tests in the information below.
Next up is high school qualifications. A number of education systems across the
world are either taught in English or have English language as a subject. Many UK
universities will accept these qualifications as evidence of your
English language level. If you are using your High School Qualification as your
English language evidence you may also be asked to have an English language
interview with the University you are applying to. This is just a check but you have
the right level of English when it comes to speaking and listening. These tend to
be informal interviews conducted over the phone or by video chat. If you need
such an interview the university that you are applying to would let you know. At
Cardiff Metropolitan University we will include this on your offer letter.
Right it’s time to list some of the main examples of High School Qualifications
that may be accepted. Students from India can use their 12th certificate. At Cardiff
Met we require 65 percent or above in English. If your English score was given
out of 200 we’ll convert this to a percentage. Students from a number of
African countries can use their English score from their High School Certificate.
For the West African WAEC, Botswana, Kenya, Uganda and Zimbabwe a grade C or above is required. For South Africa or Zambia it’s 5 or above. Students from Malaysia can use their SPM 1119 with a grade C or above. Students from Hong Kong can use HKDSE English score of 4 or above. Students from many countries that have
studied an English GCSE iGCSE or O-Level with C or above can use this to
show about English language level. A U.S. High School Diploma with Advanced
Placement studied outside of the U.S. may also be accepted in some cases. Next
up is a few exemptions. If you can evidence that you meet any of the
following criteria you will not have to provide any further English language
evidence. You have already successfully obtained an academic qualification from a
UK University which is a bachelor’s degree or above. You are a national of
one of the following English speaking countries or have studied an
undergraduate or postgraduate degree there: Australia, Ireland, New Zealand,
United States of America, English speaking Canada, and a number of Caribbean countries. I’ll put a full list in the description below.
Lastly you are already a UK passport holder. This makes life really easy. So
finally what if you don’t quite have the required level of English when it comes
to making your application. You may be able to take a Pre-Sessional English
course, we offer several of these at Cardiff Metropolitan University. These
courses are designed to lead into an academic course at the University and
get your English up to the required level. I’ll be making another video about
English language courses in the future so make sure you keep an eye out if it’s
of interest. There we have it if you’ve stuck with me through this video I’m
hopeful that you’ll have a good understanding of English language
requirements to study in the UK. Also you should hopefully have an idea of the
best option for you. If it has been useful please do give me a like so that
I know that it’s been helpful. If you are looking for study options in
the UK make sure you watch my videos about Cardiff Metropolitan University
and also make sure that you subscribe to our YouTube channel so that you can find
out when I release more videos full of tips, advice and guidance for coming to
study in the UK, and as always if you have any questions, comments or
suggestions please just let me know in the comments below.
But for now thanks for watching and hopefully we’ll welcome you to Cardiff
Met one day soon. Bye bye!